The intricacies of our plumbing systems and drains usually remain out of sight, out of mind, until they demand attention. Foreign materials like sanitary products, hygiene products, wet wipes, earbuds, cotton wipes, hair, grease etc. do not break down in your septic system like toilet paper does, so they can gather together and create a blockage. These blockages grow over time, to the point where waste, water, and toilet paper can no longer drain properly through the sewer drain. In some cases, this can result in the bathroom being flooded with hazardous waste and water which damages surfaces and poses a serious health risk. If you’ve got a blocked drains in Adelaide, you want it fixed fast and fixed for good.
At Anytime Plumbing Adelaide we clear blocked drains all day, every day. It’s what we are really good at. Read on more for some tips and tricks to keep your drains running as new and to keep all drain blockages away.
Blocked Kitchen Drains from Grease Build-up
In any household, grease and fat build-up in the kitchen sink over time. Grease is a very common cause of blocked drains and pipes and can be a real nuisance to clear out. It is important to know that this grease deposit in kitchen pipes is not as easy to remove as you would expect.
How to Unblock Grease Build-up: Boiling Water Treatment
- Avoid washing oils, fatty ingredients down the kitchen drain as much as possible.
- Any washed grease will eventually harden in the pipes causing blockage.
- Boil a kettle of boiling hot water and pour it down your drain. This simple method works very well for loosening up on some grease build-up.
- A great method with no use of chemicals and environment friendly.
Blocked Bathroom Drains from Hair
A build-up of hair can over a period of time clog your drains completely. Most times it’s a moderately easy task to simply ‘remove the hair’ from drains after a shower, but if it’s not cleared up straight away it can cause drain blockage issues down the line. It’s a common problem for many homeowners and there are few ways you can fix your drain and put a long-term solution in place.
How to Fix Blocked Drains from Hair: Use a Bent Wire Hanger
- This may seem like a very simple step, but it is quite useful in many cases.
- Get hold of a regular wire hanger and then straighten it out as much as possible, creating a small hook at one end.
- Push it through the affected drain and start fishing to remove the debris and hair causing the blockage.
- If you’re unable to reach the hair or the DIY isn’t working as intended, it’s time to speak to a blocked drain specialist.
Blocked Drains from Toiletries
Nappies, baby wipes, sanitary and hygiene products, foreign materials etc. should never be flushed or disposed of in the drains. Nappies, wipes, etc. absorb moisture and enlarge quickly blocking drains and pipes causing bigger problems.
How to Fix Blocked Drains from Toiletries: Use a Plunger
- You can try using a plunger first. This can often dislodge smaller obstructions.
- Simply place the plunger over the drain hole with enough water to partially cover the rubber cuff of the plunger.
- This creates a seal and helps to dislodge any obstructions. Then pump the plunger a few times, removing it quickly after half a dozen plunges.
- You might need to do this a few times. However, it doesn’t always work, especially if it’s a stubborn blockage.
- If it’s too late, book a qualified plumber to come and clear the blockage but make sure it doesn’t occur again in the future.
GET THE SOLUTION TO YOUR ADELAIDE BLOCKED DRAINS QUICKLY AND EFFICIENTLY!
At Anytime Plumbing Adelaide we have sophisticated equipment that helps us locate and eliminate clogs and stubborn blockages with ease. Our plumbing tools and methods such as high-pressure water jet cleaning systems and CCTV cameras enable us to clear out all drain blockages in no time. If you are having a blocked drain anywhere in the house get in touch to discuss how we can help.